19/11/2016

What to Write About



For about three months now, I've been wallowing in the confusion of what to write about.

I just couldn't come up with anything.

I have decided to venture into freelance writing, yet I haven't written much.

The confusion causative all along has been the advice of all the (freelance) writers I follow. They advise me (or us) to have a niche – a specific subject. They justified their stance by stating that it would make me an authority in that niche – given to the fact that since it's the subject I've chosen, I'd put more effort into learning about it.

That couldn't be any truer.
I concur.

The determining factor, however, should be passion. That I should choose a subject I'm passionate about. The reason for this is because passion would keep me interested in the subject. As it is something I'm passionate about, learning, and then writing about it would be much fun.

Another reason is that the zeal to do freelance writing won't peter out (quickly, if at all).

I couldn't agree with them more!

Now, that brings about a big Q. A very, very big one at that!

What am I passionate about?

I don't know.

Sincerely, I don't.

[Thanks for that adjective, buddy. But next time, be nice!]

In my quest for discovering what my passion is, I started reading many pieces on the subject, and the takeaway is:

If I'm clueless about what my passion is, I should look towards:
  • What I love doing
  • What I studied (or currently studying) in school
  • Activities that light up my mood
  • And anything that has to do with "me," "my," "I" and "myself." 
And my answers? They are:
  • I love to sleep…and eat
  • I am studying Engineering (Electronic and Electrical precisely)
  • Thinking…
  • Searching…
Should I write about sleeping…and eating?

What of about engineering?

Definitely not!

I've chosen a variety of topics in the health niche, but it doesn't work.
For the most part of it, I lost interest.
But I'll stick with it.

Like I stated earlier, I'm aware of the fact that if you don't like (or love) what you do, the zeal burns out quickly, easily.
Hence, the need for one to do what one loves.

But in my own case, my wit has disappointed me (to discover what I like and that is reasonable to write about), so the way forward is to love what I do.

Takeaway:


First up, make yourself a drum cup of tea and enjoy

When you do what you love, especially when you make money from it, it will feel less like work; rather it'll feel much like fun.

When you do what you love:
  • You get the motivation to work, easily
  • Work wouldn't feel like work
  • You dedicate everything that is required to learn or know more about it – subconsciously, without putting much effort!
But what then happens if you, for whatever reason, don't get to do what you love?

Hate it?

Nag every time?

Nope!

Rather than do any of those, try to build up love for it!

So the bottom line is: If you are not doing what you love, love what you do!


What do you think?

Share your thoughts in the comments.

Cheers!


Share:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © Prompt Pieces | Powered by Blogger Designed by ronangelo | Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com | Customized by Adesinmi Olatoyese