29/10/2016

Hello, World, Listen to Me


by Adesinmi Olatoyese

howdy_welcome_on_board


It's been quite some time that I created this blog - thanks to Blogger (Google).

I named it Prompt Pieces because every piece on the blog will be prompted by...well, anything.

Although I'd have named it Just My Thoughts, Just Rambling, My Rants etc, but they've all been taken.

I was upset, seethed not only because they've been registered, but because, virtually, none of them had even a single post.

"Why register a name you are not ready to use?", I said as I cursed.

After several hours of scrounging up my brain in search of a befitting and reasonable title, I came up with what I have now. And I love it.

After weeks of creating it, I had no post, too. I see myself committing the same mess I complained about.

Then I realised that it's happening mainly because blogger is free.
And let's face it, if it were that we paid for domain name and hosting, if not for anything else, we'd want to "enjoy" the value for our money.

Thus, I've made it a duty on myself to post as much as I could, regardless of if they make sense or not. But I hope I come up with posts that are appealing.

My Resolve


Well, the primary reason I wanted a blog is to post my write-ups, with a view to getting it before many eyes.

I've always wanted to be a writer.
I know I want to write, even without any reasonable conviction as to why I want to. However, recently, I learnt that I can make money writing; writing for people who need contents for their prints, blogs, website, ads etc.

And that's a great motivator, you know.
What could be more motivating than money? Nothing!
Money does everything. Money rules!

That type of writing is called freelance writing and the people doing it are called freelance writers.
Even that is beautiful; if people ask what I do, replying "I'm a freelance writer" is just awesome.

Towards achieving that, I've been following every writer that comes across as successful, such as Bamidele Onibalusi of Writers In Charge, Abdullahi Muhammed (NWC) of OxygenMAT, Carol Tice of Make A Living Writing, Jeff Goins of Goins Writer, James Johnson of One Day Guides, Jacob McMillen of Jacob McMillen, Jorden Roper of Writing Revolt and a host of others, whose names, at the moment, I couldn't remember.

In order to become a better writer and as successful, their advice were the same. Even when they use different words and offer it at different times, it has always been the same. It is to "write everyday."

Even, people who are not into freelancing but write for whatever reason they do counselled the same.

"They are right," I thought to myself, "after all, practice makes perfect."

I was motivated. I want to write about anything and everything...everyday.

My Plans


To make things easier and as well to set towards a direction, I've mapped out a plan and it goes thus:

I will learn new vocab words and idioms everyday, and then search Google for it's contextual usage. As a non-native, this'd equip me with the right words to express myself appropriately, using fewer words and without ambiguity.

I will write everyday (although I may not post everyday). I think writing everyday will instill some discipline in me; besides improving my writing, it will come helpful when I start getting many projects and also to beat deadlines (I have heard bout that, mehn!).

I will visit freelance job boards like Problogger's to have a hands-on on some gigs and then write on them. Although they may not be suitable for this blog, the aim is to get topics to write on.

As for now, that's all I have in place.
As time goes on, I'll update with new plans.

So help me God....ameeeeeeen.
Share:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © Prompt Pieces | Powered by Blogger Designed by ronangelo | Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com | Customized by Adesinmi Olatoyese